A disturbing trend in this modern age
is that we feel compelled to protect us from
ourselves. Microsoft offered up a convenient
black box that protected us from the horrors of
it's inner truth. Linux was to be the answer to
that ignorance-by-consent.

I began using Linux over two years ago for the
sole reason that I could see inside. I could
break it, rebuild it, tease it, and shape it as I
pleased. I could play god, or "root" as it were.

But now that the general public has turned on to
Linux, there are pressures to see it controlled.
No one wants to see anyone hurt themselves. The
public must be protected.

As Mandrake, Redhat, or any other distribution
begins to feel the heat of a distraught public,
certain measures must be taken. Mandrake's new
security restrictions are what the public is
asking for.

Many of us are upset that our former freedoms
have been robbed of us in the latest release. If
there was ever a higher purpose to the Linux
operating system, these changes are it's defeat.

I would recommend two new classes of installation:

1.   protect me from myself
2.   let me be free

pelon