Submitted 23-Jul-00 by Ellick Chan:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Anton Graham wrote:
> Your're correct, but I never got that to work on my Sony VAIO N505VX
> laptop which has the YMF744b chip.

The most frequent cause of people believing that ALSA doesn't work for
them is the fact that it mutes all audio channels by default and you
need to use a mixer capable of unmuting them (I recommend alsamixer,
simply because I'm used to it.  You only need to do this once,
anyhoo.)

There were some problems with the Yamaha support in 0.5.8 that were
subsequntly fixed in the a and b releases (I use the 'a' release
here).  If you are interested, I can send you a copy of the relevent
portion of /etc/modules.conf so you can compare it against what you
did originally.

One other important consideration when compiling ALSA is to ensure
that you build it with OSS compatibility, because there are just too
many apps that expect that you have OSS.

--
       _
     _|_|_