Mark Weaver wrote:

> Ok...I'm still a little foggy on this console stuff. I'm only half
> there. So, if my desktop freezes as it has once or twice since I've
> started working with Linux,(about 14 months), and CTL-ALT-BACKSPACE
> doesn't take me out of X, then will CTL-ALT-Fx (x = 1-6) get me there
> without having to do a hardboot and risk filesystem damage?

I try CTL+ALT-Fx first, to see if I can get to a promp, run top, and
kill the offending process first, if that doesn't work, I CTL+ALT-F7 to
get back into Xwindow, and then try CTL+ALT-BACKSPACE. If that doesn't
work, I cross my fingers and close my eyes, and aim my finger between
the OFF switch, and the RESET switch. I've had to do that once in
twelve+ months of using Linux.

> No matter how long I use Linux not a day goes by that I don't learn
> something new.

Yes, I could spend the rest of my life playing with this system, but I
need to find someone willing to pay me to do it!

Darryl
Sig file not loaded due to loose nuts behind the controls.