On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Mallard wrote:

 > Why did Mandrake pick the most geekyist editor for a setup that is
 > suposto be easy for users?

It's the unix tradition :)

 > Anyone else seen this joke of a program?

Yes, and I use it almost daily

 > With Vim all you have to do is spend a half hour trying to get it give
 > you help, then scroll all the way to the bottom of a super long
 > whoopy-do list of usless keyboard commands that you will forget a day
 > after you use them. Please get rid of it!

It's a bit strange at first, but when you use it a lot, it is very
logically designed.

 > thinking? Do they live on this planet? Why does Mandrake support this?
 > Trash it!

Can't, vi should be a minimal part of every Linux distro, it is standard
on any Unix system.

 > I don't know who thinks this is some great thing, WOW! It has zillions
 > of features! It's not 1982 anymore, we have word processors that have a
 > better human interface than terminals did, get a life geeks! (directed
 > at the guys who wrote and keep updating "vi" and "vim")

It's the only editor that behaves right on weird terminals such as the
crappy Micro$oft telnet.

 > Why not make the default editor a nice simple one, like maybe pico,
 > where the commands are shown. I can't see anyone using a command line
 > editor for much else than a few simple changes, there are better simple
 > editors in KDE and such. Damn that really pissed me off, and on top of
 > that you guys changed from "vi" (same stupid geeky crap) to "vim" (worse
 > geeky crap) in 7.1 did someone request this? I want to know who!

That may be ok for beginners, but a hard core sys admin wants vi.

 > Sorry for the bandwith waste, had to get this off my chest. Anyone else
 > feel like I do about this?

This post is asking for a flame when put on expert groups, but I see the
purpose of an easier editor for beginners. However, Mandrake has a large
audience to satisfy, including hard core UNIX people. Vi has established
itself as the standard editor, and it is not easily going to be displaced.

--
Regards,

Ellick Chan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]