On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, you wrote:

> What's so hard about that? Even the old DOS "edit.exe" wasn't
> any easier.
> If that's too hard to learn how to do, the person isn't a newbie,
> they're an idiot.
>
> Yes, I know there are advanced features that require learning a little
> more to use, but by the time I need them I've fixed the conf file that
> was preventing me from starting X, and I use a GUI editor, which is
> what all the whiners seem to want, anyway.

   If i'm in X I use KDE's text editor, if not, I like MC.  I'm a
long time newbie and the choice and diffrences in editors was
readily apparent to me.  I don't think from a new users perspective
Mandrake needs to change anything.

   The reason I bothered to vote tho, is to mention that for dual
booters (win/Linux) that many newbie's are, Windoze 'edit' is great
for converting UNIX style text to DOS (ie, the \n deal).  Just open
a UNIX txt file with edit and it will appear properly formatted,
then just save it to the same file name and presto, it's a DOS file.

 --
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]