Submitted 30-Aug-00 by Benjamin Reed:
>> Is it possible to change a Type 85 (Linux Extended) partition to Type F
>> (Windows 95 Extended)? The reason why I ask is because I like to use Ghost
>> backup my Linux partitions. However, Ghost does not like Type 85
> partitions.

> Are linux Extended partitions binary-compatible with DOS extended
> partitions?  Otherwise it would screw things up to change it...

For all practical purposes, yes.  The type 85 usage was introduced because
Windows/DOS Fdisk cannot see type 82 and 83 partitions inside a DOS extended
partition.  As a result, people who chose to abandon linux ran into
difficulty removing the linux partitions from Windows (fdisk knew the
extended wasn't empty and wouldn't allow removal, but couldn't see the
partition in it to remove them).

--
Anton Graham                            GPG ID: 0x18F78541
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 RSA key available upon request

"Being disintegrated makes me ve-ry an-gry!" <huff, huff>