I keep seeing references to grc.com on this linux list... grc does port
scanning for known windows hacks--not that it is completely without
relevence to linux, but grc's scans do not test for most vulnerabilities
across OSes.

When you have a firewall up and running, and you think it's well configured,
you can get a free, and rather harsh, external nmap scan from
www.hackerwhacker.com the first scan is free, additional services are per
membership.

This scan will work your firewall hard, and can take up to a few hours--it's
rather complete for a free scan.

--Greg