> Tony Smith wrote:
>
> > > How can i check which ports on my computer are open
> > > i will be sitting on my server ?
> >
> > I use "netstat -an --inet | grep LISTEN" to show me which ports are
> > accessible. Remove the grep to see active connections too. Also, check out
> > lsof which will allow you to tell which processes are connected/listening.
> >
> > Tony

This is great...  1 question though:
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address     Foreign Address    State*
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:23        0.0.0.0:*          LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:21        0.0.0.0:*          LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:515       0.0.0.0:*          LISTEN

Since the foreign address is 0.0.0.0, does that mean that these
ports are accessable by the world?  Port 515 is the print
spooler, so it sounds bad that that should be world accessable.

TIA,
Ron
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      WWW : [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |
| Most overused words: feel, cool/kewl, fun, myBlah.com    |
| Most underused word: think                               |