Matthew Micene wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> > Since the foreign address is 0.0.0.0, does that mean that these
> > ports are accessable by the world?  Port 515 is the print
> > spooler, so it sounds bad that that should be world accessable.
>
> You'd better believe it.  And if you want it to get worse, open an X
> Window session and watch X pop up on port 6000 and xfs on port 2046 I
> think.  This is why EVERYONE running a linux box (at home or otherwise)
> needs to have a firewall installed of some sort.  One solution is
> tcpserver as a replacement for inet super server because it supports
> binding to a specific interface or address.  It is limited in the fact
> that it only handles TCP protocols.

Well that's pretty bad.  I used PMFirewall to set up my ipchains
commands, but apparently it has left some things out...  It
was my assumption that PMFirewall blocked everything then
allowed only certain ports in...

Ron
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      WWW : [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |
| Most overused words: feel, cool/kewl, fun, myBlah.com    |
| Most underused word: think                               |