[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> as they say in the navy if it works , why shell out money for something
> better!

Since you haver refered to work/navy several times, I wonder if you are
using this computer on the job?  Is it a laptop?  If it is on the job/at
work, have you no access to an ethernet port?

If it is a laptop, why not get a simple, cheap, real modem pcmcia card?

I understand the desire to not toss money away, but really, a real modem
of 28.8 or 56k can be had for real cheap.  Go second-hand (Do you have a
Computer Renaissance where you live?).  For crap like pcmcia cards or
ethernet/modem hardware, I go to a new/used computer shop and pick up
stuff like that cheap.  For the pricier items (RAM, CPUs) I go to one of
several specific, trusted internet retailers and order online.

Some things are truly worth a minor expense (a real modem is one such
item).
Really.  It sets you free from annoying and pointless restraints like
that
you have been inflicting on yourself.  I speak as one on a grad student
budget, so I am not fast and loose with money myself.

praedor