On Mon, 9 Oct 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> However, when checking off my xconfig I come to
> the sound card menu and C-Media is locked out of selection.

What have you selected under 'Code maturity level options'? You need to
select 'Y' under this, or it will block out C-Media, and any other
experimental stuff.

> Does this mean that
> I need to add the proper include, .o files, etc from my previous source set
> (2.2.15) for make xconfig to allow the C-Media support to be selected?

Not from 2.2.15 no. You need only the files for the kernel you're trying
to compile.

> 2.2.16
> installs by RPM with little difficulty and no impact on my system, but I'd like
> to try 2.2.17 in any case.  Do I need the headers for 2.2.17 for this to work
> correctly?

You do if you want to compile 2.2.17 - I'm not sure which kernel you're
trying to compile, where you got it from. IMHO the best thing is to get a
2.2.17 tarball from kernel.org and use it. Problem with this is that it
doesn't have any of the patches Mandrake adds, but in my case I prefer to
patch it myself, so I've got as close to a plain kernel as possible. AFAIK
Mandrake supplies a kernel RPM that's just got a pre-compiled kernel, and
also a kernel-source RPM, and a kernel-headers RPM. If you just want the
kernel, you can use the pre-compiled one. If you want to compile it
yourself, you'll need the source ones.

Hope that helps,
Tom