Buildkernel defaults to downloading from kernel.us.org (not
sure about the the actual web address).  It defaults to
downloading the latest stable kernel.  I haven't paid
attention to the patches as you mention because I don't
have any of the video/cams you mention.  If you select
to get prompted for Code maturity level options, you
may well find that your video gear is selectable, if not
by default.

The latest kernel usually contains all the patches provided
prior to its packaging.

You can give it a shot.  Building a kernel this way wont
dick up your present system.  You can boot up the new-built
kernel, test it, and if it isn't working for you, reboot to
your working kernel and try again or go with mandrake
kernel rpms.

praedor

Buchan Milne wrote:

> The only problem that I see with this (maybe buildkernel solves this,
> which is what I want to find out) is pathces made to the kernel.
>
> Mandkake ships with a kernel patched, patched, patched, ............
> compiled to support a lot of features only available on the 2.3.x and
> 2.4.0 text official sources by backporting. Does buildkernel take
> patching into account in any way. For example, mandrake supports the
> ov511 webcam chip on the Creative Webcam III. The page for this driver
> only lists patches aviable for 2.3.x, no 2.2.x !!
>
> The only machines I have that I would build kernels for are the ones
> with new hardware, thus needing patches (ide patch for example) until
> 2.4.0 comes out.
[...]