Christopher Kolar wrote:

[snip]

> I would also like to agree with Buchan on the Apache issue.  We are running
> some True64 boxes as web servers, and there is some degree of pain getting
> the sysadmins to run mySQL/php/mod_perl/Apache with IMAPpy things thrown
> in.  I am able to do more things faster, and I am not even a real sysadmin.

I'm not a sysadmin at all (really an engineering student) but I run a
network of +- 40 machines (about 35 NT WS) with 5 Linux boxes, of which
4 are LM 7.1, 1 is still RH6.2. The machines are configured as follows:

1)Celeron 500 w/ 128 MB Ram:
LM 7.1
Samba 2.0.7 as Primary Domain Controller for our Windows NT domain

2)P166 MMX w/ 80MB Ram:
LM 7.1
Apache (servers http://www.cae.co.za and https://mail.cae.sun.ac.za) w/
PHP3/MySQL/mod-imap and 3  different webmail interfaces being evaluated
Wu IMAP }
Postfix }(will start to serve all our mail)

3)P60 w/ 32MB ram
LM 7.1
Webcam machine

4)P75 w/32 MB ram:
RH6.2
samba 2.0.7, running as a printserver
apache (using Mdk rpms) doing intranet serving
WebCDWriter (this is about the coolest linux app ever)

We have a few of the windows boxes dual/multi-boot to Mandrake also.

Setting this up part-time since May this year, I now have a network with
a Windows NT Domain (seriuosly eases admin work), reliable servers, mail
available securely via SSL'ed webmail, anyone capable of writing a CD
from their workstation from any Netscape capable OS.

To do all this in any other OS would have cost about $4000 for server
software (windblows) or would have take a lot longer (RH)

Best of all it's very little work to keep them all up to date, since we
have a (non-official) Manrdrake mirror on our netowrk (we also have an
official redhat mirror, but it's a mission to update everything).

Buchan