On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, you wrote:

[all snipped Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit]

My suggestions and the reasoning behind it:
Kill kudzu:  you most likely won't be adding hardware.  If you really want
to use it, start it manually before installing hardware and kill
it once you are done.  There is no need to daemonize it.

Kill ypbind:  unless for some reason this machine is a NIS client, this
is not needed and a HUGE security hole.  if the box IS an NIS client AND
you are coloing this box, god bless and pass the ammunition.

Kill portmap:  unless this is an NFS server, this is another gaping hole.
I personally would not colo an NFS server, way to much unsecurable
traffic floating on the Internet.

Kill netfs and nfslock.  again, this box should not be MOUNTING
partitions across the Internet on a coloed box.  This is for SMB Netware
and NFS  mounts, NOT recommended by me.

kill pcmica: this isn't a laptop, no need for it

gated or routed, pick one or the other.   They serve the same purpose and
WILL interfere with each other.

kill named, postfix, httpd, proftpd and mysql unless you have a reason
for running them (ie running (in order) a DNS server, a mail server, web
server, ftp server or database server or backend)

kill lpd, it is HIGHLY unlikely you are going to be using a coloed box as
a printserver for any reason.  And I can't imagine they are going to
provide access to or space for a line printer for you to dump your logs to.

Kill amd, unless you need to automount local partitions on the fly there
is no need for this that I can think of on a server.

Webmin runs its own http daemon.  If you are using this to configure and
control the box remotely, make sure you have the proper ipchains rules to
shutdown access to unauthorized people for this service.  Otherwise, shut
it off.

Xfs can be removed if you are not planning  on running any remote X
services from the box, and can be manually started and stopped should
someone log in on the console and want to start X.  Or upgrade to XFree86
4.0.1 that doesn't rely on Xfs.

KILL LINUXCONF!   I can think of absolutely no reason why on a coloed
server box you would daemonize linuxconf.  Actually, I see little reason
to daemonize it at all.

Once you remove all the unecessary services (ie Linuxconf, ftp, telnet,
whatever) make sure you go through the inetd.conf file and comment
out/remove all the lines relevant to those services.

The pared down list I would suggest reads like this:
        network
        random
        syslog
        gated OR routed
        atd
        crond
        inetd
        keytable
        local

and then add whichever of the following services you MEAN to run:
        httpd
        named
        proftpd
        sshd