On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, you wrote:

> Thanks much for the replies. Very informative and helpful.
>
>   I guess the only decision I need to make now is whether to nuke
> gated or routed. Does it make a difference? Thanks again.

routeD only implements the RIP protocol.  gateD has support for many many
many routing protocols, and is more secure after a fashion (mostly because
RIP is not particularly secure, and gateD has support for securer
protocols).  It would depend on what sort of routing this coloed box is
going to need, that based on its purpose.  If you can get away with a
static routing table, you can nuke both.    I am not an expert on
configuring gateD but have heard its not so bad.  Because of the way RIP
works, routeD should be start it and forget it.  RIP is not real good for
border applications due to the lack of security.

--
Matthew Micene
Systems Development Manager