This is a problem with Linuxconf on Mandrake 6.1, so with any luck it has
already been repaired.

I installed the dhcp server on my system, and everything appeard to run
fine. Then I found myself rebooting from time to time, and noticed that,
while the Sys V startup sequence said dhcpd started sucessfully, it was
DOA after I had booted. Hmmmm.... So I checked in /var/log/messages, and
found out that linuxconf was shutting it down so that it could start it up
with its own, incorrect, configuration. Which, of course, failed.

I never did like Linuxconf, as it seems to have been written by a bunch of
Redmondians with a "we're from Linuxconf and we know more about what you
are doing than you do". Linuxconf appears to Windoz-ize my computer,
i.e. take it over and do strange things I didn't want it to do.

OK, fine, I found the place in Linuxconf where apparently you can diable
Linuxconf's control over dhcpd, and tried do disable it. No go, Linuxconf
was still killing off a sucessfully running daemon. So I said, screw it,
and took Linuxconf out of my Sys V init, for all run levels. Now dhcpd
starts at, and continues to run, after boot.

Anyway, the Mandrake gurus might want to check to see if Linuxconf still
has this bug, and if so report it to the authors of Linuxconf. I've never
liked Linuxconf, and will probably kill it off and put webmin on or
continue to administer my system the old fashioned way, with emacs and
kill.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley