Anyone knows why is IRQ 5 chosen both for my eth0 (tulip, external
card) driver and sound (maestro, on motherboard) on my Compaq Presario
5640/5670 when other interrupts are free: 4,6,7,9,10,11?

How to steer away one of the units from IRQ 5 to avoid interrupt
sharing? In the documentation to both the tulip and maestro driver I
have not found any option to control the IRQ. What unit takes care of
allocating IRQ's if the card driver does not require one, the kernel
or the BIOS?

The BIOS for this computer has very limited number of options, and as
mentioned above the sound hardware is on the motherboard. Also only
two PCI slots are available (one with the ethernet card, the other
with a PCTV card, IRQ 3), so shuffling cards is not much to try.