Hello Svante,

SS> No response so far, trying again.

SS> Anyone knows how IRQ 5 is chosen both for my eth0 (tulip, external
SS> card) driver and sound (maestro, on motherboard) on my Compaq Presario
SS> 5640/5670 when other interrupts are available: 4,6,7,9,10,11?

4 is most probably used by Com1
6 , by floppy controller
7, parallel port

9 is shared with 2, so it is not a great idea to use it, though I
usually have to use, and I did not get much trouble
10 and 11 are great, usually 11 is for graphics card

SS> Also the graphics card is allocated to IRQ5:
SS> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo Banshee (rev 03)
(prog-if 00 [VGA])
SS>         Subsystem: Guillemot Corporation Maxi Gamer Phoenix
SS>         Flags: VGA palette snoop, 66Mhz, fast devsel, IRQ 5

SS> How to steer away one of the units from IRQ 5 to avoid interrupt
SS> sharing/conflicts? In the documentation to both the tulip and maestro driver I
SS> have not found any option to control the IRQ. What unit takes care of
SS> allocating IRQ's if the card driver does not require one, the kernel
SS> or the BIOS?

 Linux kernel does not control it. What you can do is at your bios,
 and your hardware, plugging and unplugging the cards.

SS> The BIOS for this computer has very limited number of options, and as
SS> mentioned above the sound hardware is on the motherboard. Also only
SS> two PCI slots are available (one with the ethernet card, the other
SS> with a PCTV card, IRQ 3), so shuffling cards is not much to try.

The soundcards irq may be changed by a bios setting, I dont know. If
there is something " reset pci configuration, escd or pnp conf. " or
something like  that try to enable it , first. Then, go on trying to
change the irqs. You will need to make lots of resets. Usually, I turn
on a pc with no card added on it, then go on adding cards one by one,
so you see what is causing trouble.

Disable the usb, serial and parallel ports etc in your bios, if you
are not using them.

Sometimes, stupidly, changing the places of the cards solves some irq
troubles, but of course, you better try one by one, just to keep eye
on what is going on.

Having just 2 slots, is terrible enough... I have enough slots, but I
still am lacked on this !'^+ irq trouble so many times... 16 irqs are
not enough !

Wish you goodluck, hope these will help.

--
                                              Onur