It seems to be both a printer driver issue AND a printer hardware problem.
I built and installed the gimp-print 4.1.0 package and changed my epson
driver to that.  Now I can print from konqueror and kmail but, again, the
printing is partial - even though I have a new black ink cartridge installed,
I am getting ONLY color - no black (this may be the hardware - I am going to
have to take the printer out of its hole and do a close exam to see if the
print heads are clogged).  As for the driver - even though I have 720dpi
selected as default, the printout is more like 180dpi or 360dpi.

The gimp-print driver works MUCH better than the native driver.

Another thing is that the default page size keeps going to A4.  I keep
selecting letter and saving and hitting OK but it insists on defaulting to
A4.  I changed this as root to letter too - through kups and qtcups.

How do I make letter the default that will stick?

--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain
---