The latest CUPS info by Till, along with discussions is here:
http://www.mandrakeforum.com/mysearch.php3?author=till

Check out FAQ(7) where there's info about the many KDE printing issues.
The A4 thing seems to be a known bug. Note also that there's been a lot of
fixes to all the associated CUPS files that will never be in Mandrake
updates because they are not security related. The drivers and the
ghostscript stuff is all very recent. Till has the stuff here:
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~tkamppeter/packages/

Although I have a crappy HP deskjet 520 (circa 1993), I tried the
GIMP-CUPS driver and it looked like I was out of ink. I had fantastic
results with the Foomatic drivers. For your Epson Color Stylus 600 you
should try scrolling way down past "Epson Color ......" to "Stylus 600"
where you'll find several the foomatic drivers. You can setup a printer
name for each driver if you want ... one may be better for text, the other
for colour pictures. For apps that won't let you choose which (like KDE
apps it seems), select one as default.

If you can't work things out, I think Till lurks in the general forum at
linuxprinting.org.

Good luck.
Dave.

---------