> It seems to be both a printer driver issue AND a printer hardware problem.
> I built and installed the gimp-print 4.1.0 package and changed my epson
> driver to that.  Now I can print from konqueror and kmail but, again, the
> printing is partial - even though I have a new black ink cartridge installed,
> I am getting ONLY color - no black (this may be the hardware - I am going to

I haven't done anything to investigate this but thought I'd pass on
what I'm seeing.  From Netscape (LM7.2/Cups) I get a "partial" print
as well.  I do get some black text but it's so feeble that it looks
like I've got an empty cartidge in the machine.  BUT, I can then print
from Word under Win4Lin and get first class output from my HP812.  So,
I suspect you aren't having a hardware problem but rather how CUPs is
handling standard printing.  Like you, CUPS is a bit frustrating at
first glance.

Cheers --- Larry