The best thing to do for security is to make su only executable by root.
Then get the "sudo" package and install it, giving only a few users the
ability to run "sudo su" and thus change to root.

  This makes the telnet server more acceptable, and limits your exposure.

  Also, with inetd/xinetd, telnetd can be limited to serving people only
on specific networks by changing hosts.deny, hosts.allow ("man
hosts.allow") in the /etc directory.

  the basic rule for hosts.deny that all systems should follow is

ALL: ALL

  this denys everyone access to all services.  In hosts.allow, assuming
your local network is 192.168.1.x, you could put

ALL: 192.168.1.

  This overrides hosts.deny and allows all servers that use inetd to
service anyone coming in over the 192.168.1.x network.

bug