Seeing as any user that's telnetted in as a regular users can usually
substitute user for root, and anyone on the internet can view they
keystrokes they're using to type the root password, either way is as
completely insecure as another. I don't even want anyone being able to
Telnet is as a regular user - if the unprivilieged user has a shell, they
can use another exploit to gain root...

Don't install Telnet-server. Just don't. I don't mean to be rude, but
Telnet is a flaming pile of poo, and installing it is a really poor move.

Mike

Mike MacCana            Support Consultant
          C Y B E R S O U R C E
   Level 9, 140 Queen St Melbourne 3000
Ph : +61 3 9642 5997 Fax: +61 3 9642 5998