Hmmmmm...David,

thank you so much for stating the most obvious to my query. apparently
you've missed the most obvious target of my original question which was
to engage a very seasoned Unix veteran in converstation about this very
mysterious and ancient tool of the Unix world. There are quite a few of
these seasoned gurus that read this list. Most, if not all which would
not answer in this manner.

But thankyou for taking the time to respond to my message.

O, and one more thing. Since this message was posted to the expert list
it should generally be assumed AND expected that the poster, that would
be me, has already done some preliminary leg work on their own AND have
already consulted the "man" pages that exist on their system.

Mark