On Saturday 24 March 2001 11:47, you wrote:
> RTFM

While it is always good advice to "Read the Fine Material" available, it is
not the only advice to give.  Sometimes just a few clues are helpful,
sometimes a whole primer needs to be written that _isn't_ in the fine
material available, because whoever wrote it wrote it for a different
audience with a different background.

For example, when Reiserfs was introduced, how many people were asking for a
utility to convert ext2 partitions to Reiser?  It was _definitely_ time for a
primer because the reiser info available on the was for bona fide computer
scientists and mathematicians, like me.  The ext2 information wasn't much
better.

So if you see responses to queries that sometimes seem like explanations you
might consider less than expert, remember we have a lot of experts on Windows
systems migrating this way _because_ they are frustrated with "Consult your
System Administrator" in all the WinManuals.  Since it IS the system
administrator consulting these manuals--the advice chases its tail.  If some
of us don't provide a bridge to understanding, who will?

Linux certainly has more documentation--a whole mountain of it.  But there is
another old adage, "In order to ask the right question, you already have to
know most of the answer."

Civileme