Dear Erik:

You can get RealPlayer 8 from RealPlayer home page at
http://www.real.com by selecting the free RealPlayer 8 Basic and then
choosing under OS "Unix". This will take you directly to the Unix
Community Supported RealPlayer page at:

http://huxley.real.com/real/player/unix/unix.html?src=rpbform

You have a choice of downloading two files for Linux: a RealPlayer8.rpm
and the other file, which is a RealPlayer8.bin file. Due to the problem
with "a different architecture", the rpm file will NOT install. It has
been strongly advised by our gurus NOT to try to install it either by
forcing it (--force) or by using the --ignorearch option. INSTEAD, do
what I just did, thanks to a message from Wolfgang and from Tom
Brinkman:

First uninstall RealPlayer 7 by typing the command as root:

#rpm -e RealPlayer

Now install the RealPlayer8.bin file (around 5.8 meg) as ROOT. Then, as
root, continue your installation and install the plugins and mimetypes.
This is part of the installation as root. Just follow instructions until
you have installed it fully as root. Then, as USER, go to the directory
it has installed itself in, namely,

/usr/local/RealPlayer8

and type:

$/usr/local/RealPlayer8>sh mimetypes.sh

and

$/usr/local/RealPlayer8>sh plugins.sh

This will give you the plugins and mimetypes as user.

Now, all that's left is to make it more convenient to launch RealPlayer8
as a desktop icon.

Create the icon, then in Properties, Execute type:

kstart /usr/local/RealPlayer8/./realplay

If you don't add "kstart" you won't be able to launch RealPlayer
automatically from the icon.

So, add the "kstart ..." and it's done. That's it.

I am going to send this to the Newbie list. Hopefully, this will help
other newbies.

Thanks again.

Benjamin

Sher's Russian Web