On Mon, 09 Apr 2001, Matthew Micene wrote:
> At 05:24 PM 4/7/2001 +0000, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> >         I'm trying to network 2 linux pcs here and have run into a spot of
> >bother. One seems fine. The other will ping 127.0.0.1 OK, but sees the network
> >as unreachable.
>
> What does it think its routing table should look like? The check with route
> -n to
> see the routing table, if there is a problem there, the initialization files
> /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 should be
> checked to make sure they have the proper values.

route -n shows only 127.0.0.1 . Presumably, all route with the non functioning
device eth0 have been deleted. route -n on my better machine is there or
thereabouts.

/etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 seem the
same as the machine which actually works. I haven't rebuilt the kernel or
modules yet, but I did the network bits of both machines, so I'd expect both or
none to be right. The module ne2k-pci is 7264 bytes on each machine.

> >Anyhow, my problem:
> >eth0 throws up an error and can't be initialised on bootup
>
> What is that error?

This proved to be a very good question!
The kernel spits a line about
bringinging up network: Delaying eth0 initialization.    [Failed]
A look in /var/log/boot.log gives me this

<date/time> workhorse ifup: delaying eth0 initialisation
<date/time> workhorse network: bringing up device eth0 failed

on a shutdown, you're told a little more

<date/time> workhorse ifdown eth0: unknown interface: No such device
<date/time> workhorse ifdown eth0: error fetching interface information: Device
not found
<date/time> workhorse> shutting down interface eth0 succeded

 A look in /var/log/messages, however, says even more

<date/time> workhorse insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.14-15mdk/net/ne2k-pci.o: invalid
parameter irq
 That prompted me to run linuxconf and remove the irq setting, seeing as that
entry was optional, and restart, (windoze training ;-) but the messages did not
change. It is still bellyaching about the invalid irq

My 2 machines are loaded with Realtek NE2000 compatible cards. These talk to
each other in dos, so it is a linux config problem.

> Unresolved symbols are the harbinger of doom.  Just kidding.  They usually
> represent modules that are compiled for a different kernel.  Check the kernel
> settings and remake and reinstall the modules at a minimum.

Will do. Somebody got going on this one and has raid arrays on bootup :-/.
The same kids will cheer if you download the latest unstable kernel, go on irc
and tell everyone there using it, and then suddenly get busy doing something
else when you have to sort yourself out.

> The installation is 7.0 (Air), kernel 2.2.14-15. Curiously, the graphical "What
> >have we got here?" programs say it's a 586 cpu, correctly identify it as a k6,
> >and give it the generation number 6 (=i686). Clear as mud, isn't it?
>
> See the earlier thread on this list about i686 and i586 binaries for a "good"
> discussion of this problem on k6's.

I read a lot of it - it was a big issue for me; I've 2 k6/2 pcs here, and
they're not going away for a long time.

--
        Regards,

        Declan Moriarty

Applied Researches - Ireland's Foremost Electronic Hardware Genius

        A Slightly Serious(TM) Company

Without the optimist, the pessimist wouldn't know how happy he isn't.