Declan Moriarty wrote:

>  A look in /var/log/messages, however, says even more
>
> <date/time> workhorse insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.14-15mdk/net/ne2k-pci.o: invalid
> parameter irq
>  That prompted me to run linuxconf and remove the irq setting, seeing as that
> entry was optional, and restart, (windoze training ;-) but the messages did not
> change. It is still bellyaching about the invalid irq
>
> My 2 machines are loaded with Realtek NE2000 compatible cards. These talk to
> each other in dos, so it is a linux config problem.

Declan, this may or may not help, but I remember reading that on some NE2000 cards
the IRQ is set via software. Evidently, the interface with the soft IRQ has to be run
in DOS to configure the card. I remember reading that there isn't a Linux soft IRQ
interface for a majority of the NE2000 cards. So, if your Linux box is complaining
about an invalid IRQ, you may need to use a DOS machine to change the NE2000 IRQ to
something that will not conflict with your Linux box and then try and bring the card
back up under Linux with the new soft IRQ set.

Just my two cents....

--
David C. Rankin
Nacogdoches, Texas