<SNIP>
>  A look in /var/log/messages, however, says even more
>
> <date/time> workhorse insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.14-15mdk/net/ne2k-pci.o:
> invalid parameter irq
>  That prompted me to run linuxconf and remove the irq setting, seeing as
> that entry was optional, and restart, (windoze training ;-) but the
> messages did not change. It is still bellyaching about the invalid irq
>
> My 2 machines are loaded with Realtek NE2000 compatible cards. These talk
> to each other in dos, so it is a linux config problem.

Watch your boot up screen (The one that shows system stuff before the
operating system is loaded) below where it tells you about memory and stuff
is a list of PCI devices and their assigned resources.
My Realtek stuff is usually on IRQ 11 if your's has changed you may have to
use your DOS configuration tools to change it back to PnP or set the IRQ to
an unused IRQ..
If your cards talk with each other using the Realtek diagnostic disk, good,
but, there are no system resources loaded at this time.  Try removing the
card, ALL reference to the card and re-boot. Then shutdown and place the card
in a different PCI slot and boot the system. Then try to configure it again.
I have had Video and Sound cards interfere with NIC cards, look at the IRQ
and I/O resources for them also. Some of my Realtek cards wanted IRQ 5 and
some 3Com stuff wants IRQ 3 both of which will interfere with other hardware.
>From what I can see of your problem, I'm pretty sure it's an IRQ conflict and
they can be hard to trouble shoot.
Good Luck,
--