RR does give hostnames, via the dhcp process, and they are usually some funky
long thing with part of the IP address in it.

It should work by simply running netconf, setting the adapter to dhcp, then
doing an ifup eth0 (if eth0 is your ethernet card).  You can check your
config by "cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0".  You should see
something like:

DEVICE="eth0"
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
HOSTNAME=cs28144-55.satx.rr.com <- what RR assigns as your hostname.
DOMAIN=satx.rr.com
IPADDR=""
NETMASK=""
ONBOOT="yes"

Look in /etc/sysconfig/network and see something like:

NETWORKING=yes
GATEWAYDEV=""
GATEWAY=""
FORWARD_IPV4=no
HOSTNAME=guardian.thompson.net

I've used RealTek NICs, with no problems. Do you have a link light on your
cable modem?  Here in San Antonio, RR uses Toshiba PCX1100 modems...is the PC
light on?  Is the link light on your PC NIC on?  Is the ethernet cable
premade?  It needs to be a "straight-through" cable, versus a cross-over.

Remember, you don't have to run dhcpd on your machine; that's for when you
want your machine to be a dhcp server.

Sorry if I've overstated the obvious:  I've been a computer maintenance
technician for the Air Force for 18 years, and I've learned that sometimes
its the simplest things...

Mitch