On Monday 16 April 2001 13:23, you wrote:

> I've used RealTek NICs, with no problems. Do you have a link
> light on your cable modem?  Here in San Antonio, RR uses Toshiba
> PCX1100 modems...is the PC light on?  Is the link light on your
> PC NIC on?  Is the ethernet cable premade?  It needs to be a
> "straight-through" cable, versus a cross-over.

You state it needs to be a straight through cable (which I never
verified before) and right you are. Forgive my ignorance but could
you explain why?
Until now I always (wrongly) saw my cable-modem (at home) as a
sort of  intermediate mini-pc.

--
Semper avanti,                            sailing on Linux,
Harm Bathoorn                             Free evermore.