Yeah, I've been fighting similar problems for weeks.
I have been trying to compile smpeg 4.2 or 4.3 and
they won't find GL.  They always disable opengl
support because it cannot be found.

You might try compiling the nvidia drivers from
tar.gz.  I was going to try that next.  Most
applications work for me, but there are some (another
is the Sin video game) that are having a real hard
time with the nvidia drivers.

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.