> Hopefully someone reading will have some additionaly insight as to
> why time is slightly warped in our systems.

One of my Mandrake 8.0 machines suddendly put itself on UTC and I was
not able to restore it to running the hwclock on localtime.

Much later: By copying from the good machine I was able to restore
the hwclock to operation on local time, so necessary for Windows
operation.

The /etc/localtime file had been clobbered by a localtime directory
which was a copy of the entire contents of:

/usr/share/zoneinfo/

Deleting the localtime directory and restoring a /etc/localtime file
from the contents of:

usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Melbourne

and setting /etc/sysconfig/clock to:

ARC=false
UTC=false
ZONE=Australia/Melbourne

solved the problem.  The desktop panel, date, date u, xdaliclock and
kworldwatch all now show correct values, as does the system after an
ntpdate adjustment.

BTW, the file names mentioned in man hwclock are completely
erroneous, and there is no man for ntpdate (see
/usr/share/doc/ntp/ntpdate.htm).

Ron. [au]

Kindly note my new email address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
and new web site: http://www.ains.net.au/~ronst/