On Wednesday 18 July 2001 22:29, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking at a gettting Dell Inspiration 4000 or 8000 laptop (which
> ...).  Only extras are 256M memory and cdrw.  Has anyone installed mdk
> 8.0 on a similar beast, and how successful.  It will have to live with
> win2000, at least for awhile, are there any gotchas (such as can mdk
> resize ntfs to make room for itself?)
>
> BillK

Mandrake cannot resize ntfs t make room for itself.  NTFS is proprietary and
secret, and the new version witn Win2K cannot even be read.

The 4000 has a severe BIOS bug that prevents the use of kernel 2.4 with RAM >
192M, and it is not AFAIK tested for the 8000.  Another block is the hardware
location of ACPI which thwarts those who would wish to use the enterprise
kernel for greater than 1024M RAM.

With large amounts of memory, the Dell Laptop does work with
kernel-2.2.19-10mdk (available during install), so there are no real barriers
to using the notebook, but it will seem a little cranky to get going that
first time.

Civileme