In order to do that I would have to come up with a real "good" reason
"why" my machine needed more RAM so my supervisor would be willing to
spend the money.   !!!  Not to mention that fact that this machine isn't
a slouch my any stretch of the imagination. I figure if a machine of
this type has to labor that much to run a desktop then there's something
inherently wrong with the software that is being run. Maybe the resource
management of the desktop isn't what it "should" be.

It wasn't that it was hogging the CPU. what was making me crazy was the
fact that with 128MB of RAM there were so many processes running taking
care of Nautilus and all the others that it started hitting the swap!
and THAT was just for the desktop! thats just plain poor software design
if you ask me. It's got an absolutely beautiful GUI, but WAY too
expensive to run and expect to get any amount of work done. I personally
wouldn't mind seeing this addressed by the developers.

Mark