At 07:56 PM 09/03/2001 -0400, Mark Weaver wrote:
>In order to do that I would have to come up with a real "good" reason
>"why" my machine needed more RAM so my supervisor would be willing to
>spend the money.   !!!  Not to mention that fact that this machine isn't a
>slouch my any stretch of the imagination. I figure if a machine of this
>type has to labor that much to run a desktop then there's something
>inherently wrong with the software that is being run. Maybe the resource
>management of the desktop isn't what it "should" be.
>
>It wasn't that it was hogging the CPU. what was making me crazy was the
>fact that with 128MB of RAM there were so many processes running taking
>care of Nautilus and all the others that it started hitting the swap! and
>THAT was just for the desktop! thats just plain poor software design if
>you ask me. It's got an absolutely beautiful GUI, but WAY too expensive to
>run and expect to get any amount of work done. I personally wouldn't mind
>seeing this addressed by the developers.
>
>Mark

Jeez Mark, don't hide your feelings like that, or you might really lose
your temper later! ;-P

If this is an office/work/production PC, then you probably shouldn't be
use the Nautilus file manager. I really just wanted to try Evolution, and
figured I might as well do the full Gnome update (sans Nautilus) at the
same time. Even with just Evolution running, there are several processes
running, taking up several MB of memory.

Dave