Dave Sherman wrote:

> At 07:56 PM 09/03/2001 -0400, Mark Weaver wrote:
>
>> In order to do that I would have to come up with a real "good" reason
>> "why" my machine needed more RAM so my supervisor would be willing to
>> spend the money.   !!!  Not to mention that fact that this machine
>> isn't a slouch my any stretch of the imagination. I figure if a
>> machine of this type has to labor that much to run a desktop then
>> there's something inherently wrong with the software that is being
>> run. Maybe the resource management of the desktop isn't what it
>> "should" be.
>>
>> It wasn't that it was hogging the CPU. what was making me crazy was
>> the fact that with 128MB of RAM there were so many processes running
>> taking care of Nautilus and all the others that it started hitting the
>> swap! and THAT was just for the desktop! thats just plain poor
>> software design if you ask me. It's got an absolutely beautiful GUI,
>> but WAY too expensive to run and expect to get any amount of work
>> done. I personally wouldn't mind seeing this addressed by the developers.
>>
>> Mark
>

> Jeez Mark, don't hide your feelings like that, or you might really lose
> your temper later! ;-P
>
> If this is an office/work/production PC, then you probably shouldn't be
> don't use the Nautilus file manager. I really just wanted to try
> Evolution, and figured I might as well do the full Gnome update (sans
> Nautilus) at the same time. Even with just Evolution running, there are
> several processes running, taking up several MB of memory.
>
> Dave

Sorry about that... <sheepish grin> didn't mean to rant. Its just that I
saw some really nice things in Gnome/sawfish, but got frustrated because
it bogged down the machine the way it did. It makes me wonder what in
the world they're programming for. This machine is only a few months
old, as is Mandrake 8... at this rate i'd need a 1.5Ghz machine just for
  this desktop to be fluid.

Actually, all in all it's funny what one finds to complain about when
you no longer have to reboot all the time and worry about system freezes.

--
daRcmaTTeR
=/\=???
       |%C++

"Beware of little sins. Mosquitoes drink more blood than lions."
                                         Author unknown