I've played with all of them.. XFCE seems to be quick..
I like the looks of Windowmaker but never figured out how to configure it.
Not inherently obvious..! And don't have the time to spend on it.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Michael Scottaline
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 9:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Re: [newbie] Ximian Gnome

On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 19:56:54 -0400
Mark Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> insightfully noted:

MW> It wasn't that it was hogging the CPU. what was making me crazy was
MW> the
MW> fact that with 128MB of RAM there were so many processes running
MW> taking
MW> care of Nautilus and all the others that it started hitting the swap!
MW> and THAT was just for the desktop! thats just plain poor software
MW> design
MW> if you ask me. It's got an absolutely beautiful GUI, but WAY too
MW> expensive to run and expect to get any amount of work done. I
MW> personally
MW> wouldn't mind seeing this addressed by the developers.
==================================
Many of the major distros include both KDE and Gnome.  That's good,
because both of these projects have come up with some good, useful
software and programs that are getting better all the time.  If hard drive
space is not an issue, I say keep both on your system...., but run
NEITHER.  Use a wm like Windowmaker, Ice, Xfce (really becoming a
lightweight environment itself), or my personal favorite, Blackbox.
Enlightenment is also a very nice wm, but as wm go it is rather resource
hungry in my experience.  With any of the wm's you can run the various
programs from KDE or Gnome with no problem.  [At least I've never had
any...., YMMV]
Mike

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal
lobotomy."