On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Moving from mdk7.2 to 8.0 required a complete reinstall to make
> sure no "ghosts from the past" remain to cause problems.

this is a mandrake thing i think. cause they have some misteries directory
organisation, and they changed it so hard, that it is completly different
from the further releases. its not only unusable for other software, its
unusable for the mandrake-made-updatetools too!!
im know upgrading (since severel weeks) my mk 7.1 box, to a
linux-from-scratch release, and it works better than an mk 8.0 update i
think. only one thing that brings me up is that the rpm-tools wich
provided by this release dont work. for example when i make rpm -e
--nodeps something, there are still some librarys and docs lying around
wich
i have to delete manually. dont know, maybe the database is not set up
properly, i didnt changed anything on this rpm-shit.

This
> is because massive amounts of upgraded libraries were introduced,
> and many directories were moved.  As we have seen so many threads
> here on this list, upgrading a mdk7.2 system in these 8.0 days
> requires compiling SRPMs, and many times, they won't work because
> of the aforementioned upgraded libraries and moved directories.
>
> Just recently, I upgraded from KDE 2.1.1 to 2.2.  *Definitely*
> not something that non-geeks would ever contemplate or be able
> to do.  Noone could contemplate it on a dial-up line.

you dont have to use KDE! i use mostly blackbox, but for some applications
im updating my gnome-setup too, and i do it on a dial-up-line.

> Take for example my wife.  She's been using the same Win98 box
> with Office97 for 3 years.  The only upgrade has been to IE5.5.
> She *likes* it that way.  Could she be a happy, unchanging linux
> desktop user for 3 years from 1998?  Don't think so.

i remebering from my ms-times when i have to upgrade some nt-boxes, there
were severel so called 'service-packs', it takes sometimes a whole day in
a small office to make such kind of update-orgy.
if your wife is happy with her ugly windows-desk than she could be happy
with a mk 6.1 with a fvwm 0.001 too i think.
but the risk to getting a virus that destroys all her data is somehow
higher on her windows box i think.