I must agree with mike.

The only reason to use the same s/w for 3 years is if it's
adequate.  For the wife's limited needs, Win98 & O97 are
adequate.  IE4 was not.  IE5 was not.  IE5.5 is.

However, I've installed new programs like digital camera
utilities.

Konq still has some formatting and jsp issues.  History keeping
(like Moz's Task|Tolls|History) is needed.  KMail is adequate,
as is the KDE desktop (don't know/care about GNOME; personal
choice).

When KDE3 comes out.  I must upgrade all those libraries, or
be left behind regarding new programs that come out.  (Hopefully
children's programs!!!)

Too bad "remote/network sound" doesn't exist.  I'd put an
LTSP floppy in the wife's Compaq, and sound would come out
of the speakers!!!

On Saturday 08 September 2001 10:02 pm, mike wrote:
> [...]
> > using Mandrake 7.0 and have been using Mandrake releases ever
> > since. The latest version 8.0 despite it's very few (but very,very
> > annoying newtork set-up bugs) is an OS and desktop that I would
> > quite happy to use for three years without changing it. It makes
> > windows software look positively clunkey and as for ease of use if
> > you are a windows type USER and not a geek as you put it the
> > complexity of it is not relevent. I was so impressed with 8.0 I
> > decided to use it at my workplace; in combination with Star Office
> > it does most of what windows can do and in the majority of cases a
> > good deal faster and intuitively. On the point of the three year
> > update why should your dear wife be unhappy with keeping KDE for
> > three years since the only change she has had is to the internet
> > browser?  My goodness you have a choice of at least three different
> > browsers and as for desktops I think there are probably five
> > (although I haven't counted) I don't have the "Power Pack" but I
> > suspect there will be more than a few more on that. Remember all
> > this is in one release. I have to confess that when I started out
> > with Linux I had similar views but I was set straight by Civeleme
> > and now admit to being a convert, there is no way I would want to
> > deserving of the fate of Sodom and Gommorah for the way that they
> > conduct their business. (Sorry couldn't resist it after some of
> > their latest stunts).
> >
> > How will Linux go forward? That is the question in my mind having
> > realised that the standard of the OS is more capable of competing
> > against the "best" commercial offerings. The greatest hurdle is the
> > capitalist society in which many of us live. I believe that this
> > list (and the Linux cause) would be better served by lively minds
> > trying come up with means of promoting the Linux cause AND making a
> > living rather than posting deliberately provocative and negative
> > emails. The GPL is a most wonderful thing but it will take minds as
> > skilful as those that conceived it to get the best from it.  I
> > believe that it may be the older citizens of some societies that
> > might provide the key. I know many "old" people who have taken up
> > computing in their 60's or after retirement, many of these have
> > grandchildren. Imagine if you will a Linux provider writing or
> > porting some of those little educational games that I recall buying
> > for my childrens edification when there was only DOS. Grandfather
> > showing little Billie how to make the tree get bigger by spelling
> > the word right and all the time expounding the virtues of the GPL
> > to the childs father and how if anything goes wrong someone just
> > dials up from the internet and fixes it for them. Alas not for free
> > but for a modest sum. To some this may be an idealistic image but
> > it is one that Linux and the FSF can honestly claim for itself and
> > one which Microsoft certainly cannot.
> >
> > Colin H Close
> >

> > P.S. My apologies to any that are offended by this post.

- --
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                         |
| 495,632 sq mi are needed for 6 billion people to live, 4   !
! persons per lot, in lots that are 60'x150'.                |
! That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri.                  !
! Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom.       |