Daniel Woods wrote:

> I have not tried soft mount because the NFS how-to recommends to never use it,
> otherwise you risk file corruption.

I have used a soft mount many times with both AIX and Solaris over the
years. It has not ever corrupted any file. The main thing that a soft
mount does is to not make an entry in "/etc/filesystems" on AIX. If you
ever reboot your AIX machine, and the Linux NFS service is not
available, you will find that your boot process has just went to shit on
you while it attempts to read "/etc/filesystem" and mount a non-existent
export.

You could give the soft mount a try, just to see what happens. One 2 min
experiment should not doosh the system....

--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT SA

-Art is the illusion of spontaneity-