On Saturday 01 December 2001 08:24 am, you assembled:
> Just for some added info, I have Mandrake 8.0 loaded on an FIC 503+, 256
> megs ram,  AMD k6-2 333MHz, and I also have Mandrake 8.0 loaded on an old,
> Pentium MMX 166MHz, 96 megs of ram, and the cheapest MoBo that NEC could
> find.  The Pentium machine is at least TWICE as fast as the AMD box, no
> matter what OS it is running.  That goes for Win98, W2K, NT4.0, Solaris 8,
> and Mandrake Linux.  My little network test field has been a real eye
> opener to me.  I will go with Intel chips from now on.

wait a minute people.  we're talking about legacy chips here, way before AMD
hit their stride.  I think you will all find that modern amd CPUs and
compatible chipsets are embarassing Intel, while AMD's marketing has much to
be desired.

Now, I'f you're testing older systems, then there's no doubt that Intel was
on top.  but there's little doubt that AMD is taking over (if they could just
make some headway on laptops...)