On Sat, 01 Dec 2001 07:32:47 -0500
Felix Miata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> James Sparenberg wrote:

> > > Lucky you. I found 8.1 significantly slower than 7.2. I'm using it on a
> > > Asus P5A-B mobo with an AMD K6/2-450 CPU and 458MB of SDRAM.
>
> > Same config here almost with only 396 megs ram... The part that is slower is the
>boot. record boot is 9.5 minutes from Lilo to login.  Then once I log in and get the
>first program started.... another delay.  It rocks.  Only real problem so far is that
>a number of rpms were bad (not corrupt but bad builds)  most notably when it comes to
>autofs and amd otherwise it's not running any slower than normal.
>
> You people with older motherboards and lotsa RAM needs to do a little
> investigating before complaining about how long anything takes to do.
> The amount of cache RAM can affect performance in a very big way. My VIA
> MVP3 motherboard has 1024K of cache, which is sufficient only for 256 Mb
> of RAM. Benchmarks running 512 Mb are roughly 40% worse than when
> running 256 Mb.

  And a small amount of investigation on your part would have shown the following.
The motherboard is only about 18months old and 9 months out of production.  The
motherboard is rated to hold 768 megs of Ram.   393 is less than 768.  I used this
same model motherboard with 768 megs of ram and 4 nics to set a (then) record with
MindCraft for connections per second for a web server.  (previous company)  Third.....
and most important.  It doesn't use a VIA chipset.  Which if you listend to Civilme
you would know is nothing but a headache for most people.  It uses the ALI chipset.
Finally benchmarks on this mobo cpu combo show that it exceeds CPU's up to 100mhz
faster on integer math and holds it's own with comperable CPU's on floating point
math. (granted I ran the Benchmarks about 18 months ago and it would be a bitch to
find them.)