I don't use Outlook, but I once tried to help somebody shut off HTML
sending and think I accomplished it (for Outlook 97).  Try checking out
this page:

http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/OutlookExpressPlainText

Note a few things:

   * Even though the URL refers to Outlook Express, I am fairly certain
that this was really for Outlook 97.  There are some screen shots
attached that might help (and they show the critical checkbox to uncheck
the option to send HTML).

   * The page is *very* rough -- I collected the information
(mistakenly) because I thought it was Outlook that my friend was having
trouble with -- when I found out it was Exchange, I just saved the notes
for future reference.

   * If you look into that page, give me some feedback -- you can do
that either by email or by adding comments to the page.

Hope this helps,
Randy Kramer