On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:36:38 -0500
"Leif Madsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Until Microsoft steals the idea and makes their own, as has been done with
> many products.  They will then package it with the next OS release, and then
> all the windows users will use it, and Linux will no longer have the
> advantage.
>
> I use Linux because it's powerful, and I enjoy learning new things, but I
> don't feel that Linux is quite ready for the regular home user who has
> problems just logging onto the internet.

[snip]

<rant-on>

I don't mean to offend but i think thats way off. i get the definate impression that
people "think" that because they're told that or they hear it so much that they
actually believe it.

the proof is in the pudding. I've got a 5 year old grand daughter that doesn't have
any problems what so ever navigating her way around the Mandrake desktop. Her biggest
advantage is that she's never been told it's different. the work machine in the house
is a Mandrake box and the other smaller machine is a windows box that most of her
games and educational software is on. all she's concerned about is when she grabs the
mouse and clicks on the main menu button in the corner that a menu pops up and she's
able to get to where she wants to go.

believe it or not she can even log into the machine "by herself!" does she possess the
IQ of a child prodigy? I wish, but no. she's a very normal, bright little girl that
like most little kids learns very quickly when properly motivated.

I just get a little anoyed with the way everyone claims they love this OS but that
it's just too hard or complicated yet for the average user. what a load of HS.

To date Mandrake has produced the single most user friendly installation and
configurable linux system to hit the internet or your local geek shop.

It's not hard...just different. lets get over it and move on.

</rant-off>
--
daRcmaTTeR
=/\=???
      |%C++
Registered Linux User # 186492

"We love and desire the things most that will kill us!"