On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:20:53 +0600
"Mark D'voo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think people say linux is harder because they are scared of it.  True, it
> is not harder to click on the menu and run a program.  it is not hard to
> install programs (unless you get into dependency cycles, damn RPMS), it is
> not hard to navigate.  It is the fact that the user has soo much power and is
> able to configure so much, they get lost.  Configuring a web server or ftp
> server is not something the average user needs to know how to do, or will
> every want to do.  How many regular users are going to build a kernel, hell,
> how many regular users know what a kernel is ?? Like the person before said,
> it only seems hard because its different.  Are macs hard to use ? They are
> supposed to be super easy, but the first time I sat down I was completely
> lost.  It didn't make sense.  I couldn't configure anything and if the
> program wasn't in the apple menu I couldn't figure out how to run it.  Of
> course after playing around for 20 minutes, I figured it out.  I just had to
> give it a chance, which is what people need to do with linux.  I understand
> that many people still need many of the programs of windows.  But harddrives
> are big enough that there is no reason to dual boot.  Companies should see
> computers pre-dual-booted.  Hell, it doesn't cost them anything to put linux
> on it, except to pay a person whose only half-way smart about computers to
> install linux (cause at least with mandrake, any dumbass can install it)

Indeed! well said Mark. Your last comment really put a smile on my face. From time to
time "I" have been that dumb ass.   :P   Thats just one of the things that makes the
learning all that much more pleasurable. Well...at least for me that is. My wife
doesn't enjoy listening to me holler at the PC now and then when something just
doesn't want to do what I'm wanting it to. Of course it's not the software that is the
problem. It's the user who needs to unplug for a bit and get some blood flow back to
his brain cause he's been a sittin on it far too long.

--
daRcmaTTeR
=/\=???
      |%C++
Registered Linux User # 186492

"We love and desire the things most that will kill us!"