On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 03:20, Mark D'voo wrote:
>  I understand that many people still need many of the programs of windows.
> But harddrives are big enough that there is no reason to dual boot.
> Companies should see computers pre-dual-booted.  Hell, it doesn't cost them
> anything to put linux on it, except to pay a person whose only half-way
> smart about computers to install linux (cause at least with mandrake, any
> dumbass can install it)
>
> mark

The reason that companies don't install dual-boot Windows/SomeOtherOS is
because Microsoft have hidden license agreements that preclude such things.
If a big company such as Compaq or Dell or whatever started selling dual-boot
systems, then Microsoft will quite happily pull the plug on their License to
install Windows.  No company in the hardware market could afford to do this,
and Microsoft knows this.  Yes, it sucks.  This is what the whole
Microsoft/DOJ anti-trust case *should* have been about, rather than some
silly browser war.  Unfortunately, it appears that whole thing was a waste of
time and (US) taxpayer money, and ultimately the other OS's are losing out
(BeOS being one that recently fell partially because of this).

Market penetration is what it's all about, and Microsoft are doing everything
they can to make it difficult, including dirty tactics like this.

PGP key : http://n12turbo.com/tarragon/public.key