If you want a really good Athlon/duron with great upgrade options, then get
an
MSI K7T266 Pro2

uses DDR, and can take anything up to a AthlonXP2000+ (which isn't out yet)
with a bios upgrade, even more.

Very fast chipset, (equiv or better then Nforce)
onboard sound, (which you don't have to use if you don't want to.)
USB2 support (optional)
IDE Raid  (optional)
and an excellent device that fills an empty slot and contains rows of leds
that diagnose the system.

I have one working running 7.2 and its workin fine.

I think this board can have onboard ethernet as well..

Mine has a Athlon XP 1800+

I read a test for business apps recently that shows that every AMD chip over
1.3 gig beats the P42gig hands down, but the ground is sometimes reversed
for 3D stuff.. (but not always and new drivers are apparently fixing the
problem (like via chipset drivers and video card stuff.)

rgds

Frank