kmix only controls the mixer and as such allows you to select the source
to record from (red LEDs at the bottom). You need something else to do
the actual recording. Want a GUI? Try KRecord (apps.kde.com) which does
a very good job and will display VU and FFT info to help you get the
levels right. I like it 'cus it allows both record to RAM and record to
disk. Long (>1hour, 500-600MB) high quality recordings are possible to
disk. But a GUI is no good if you won't be there to kick it off. I like
streamer for this (part of LM8.1). mainly 'cus it can be kicked off from
cron and has a recording length parameter to get it to stop again. I
record some radio programs this way.

However, I only record from audio in and I'm not sure how easy it will
be for you to share the /dev/dsp device with both real player and one of
the above. Maybe you can get it to work by using something like 'artsdsp
rplayer...' to wrap the applications in arts 'shells'.

Nick.