On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:00:11 -0700
"D. R. Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote these words:

> On 25 Jan 02, at 11:41, Nick Thompson wrote:
>
> > Just a thought, as I never recorded through arts, have you enabled full
> > duplex operation in the kde control center->sound->sound server->sound I/O
> > tab? I think you need to do this to play and record at the same time in
>
> It wasn't. I experienced thirty seconds of hope when I saw this. But
> switching it to Yes didn't change anything.
>
> > arts. I'm assuming that your "artsdsp rec output.wav"command was run while
> > you where playing something using real player.
> >

> Yes.
>
> > Try something simple first, like recording a CD track. Click the red LED
> > under the CD slider in kmix, play a CD using kscd (or whatever), then try
> > "artsdsp rec output.wav". What do you get? (I've also never used rec, so I
> > don't know if your syntax is correct. krecord is your friend :)
> >

> I get the same as before: a WAV header but no other contents.
>
> krecord might be my friend if I could get it to do anything :-) After
> building and installing according to the README, if I type "krecord"
> all I get is a message that says `Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on
> display ":0.0"'.
>
> > Note that if you have set arts to full duplex mode, it will never
> > release /dev/dsp so you will *have* to use arts for all sound I/O. If you
> > turn off full duplex and wait for arts to disconnect (60secs by default?)
> > the you can try the same as above but just use "rec output.wav". Now what
> > do you get? Don't miss-spell and cause a konsole beep, since arts will
> > reconnect for the beep and you'll have to wait 60secs again.
> >

> I get a file of non-zero length (when trying to record from a CD). When
> I play it back with a WAV player, I get no complaints about format or
> anything, but all it plays back is silence. I checked it with a Windows
> program that displays the actual waveform, and it agrees that the file
> is a valid WAV file containing silence.
>
> This is all going to turn out to be some really stupid, simple
> configuration option....
>
> FWIW, this is all a stock LM 8.1 installation. Until I started trying
> to record, I hadn't messed with any of the sound settings at all. They
> are (or at least they were) all as set "out of the box".
>
> I'll take a look at your URLs over the weekend, when I've recovered a
> bit from all this trauma :-)

Have you considered SoundStudio?
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/studio/SoundStudio-1.0.6.tar.gz

It has always worked for me since LM 6.x, though I must
admit I have never tried it under KDE and 'aaaaaarts' as I use other WM's
It used to be inscluded in "contribs" though I have not seen it there in awhile.

William Bouterse
Talkeetna, Ak